Read this article to find out if you meet the criteria to become a Rhodes Scholar and start your application. Rhodes Trust offers scholarships in over 22 designated Rhodes constituencies, as well as it’s Global Rhodes Scholarships, and on how you apply, you have to read the guidelines given here.
The Rhodes Trust provides the Rhodes Scholarships in partnership with the Second Century Founders, John McCall MacBain O.C. and The Atlantic Philanthropies, and many other generous benefactors.
The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
If you are a student that is not from existing Rhodes constituencies, then here is an opportunity you won’t want to miss for anything if you truly want to study in the UK.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers the following;
- All University and College fees
- The University application fee
- A living stipend (£15,144 per annum 2018-19)
- One economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the scholarship
- One economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the scholarship.
This scholarship is a privilege for you to study in the United Kingdom (UK) and the course starts in October 2021.
The tenure of the Scholarship is two (2) years, subject always to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct. Subject to an application process, the Scholarship may be extended for a third year for those who take a recognized route to the DPhil (Ph.D.).
Rhodes Global Scholarships – Eligibility
- Nationality/citizenship: Eligibility to any other Rhodes Scholarship renders you ineligible to apply for a Global Scholarship, i.e. if you are eligible to apply via any existing Rhodes Constituency, you must apply there. Please also see the information online regarding inter-jurisdictional consideration – it may be in your interest to pursue that route rather than to apply for a Global Scholarship, which will likely be the most competitive Scholarships offered by the Rhodes Trust.
- Age: Upon 1 October 2020, you must meet either of the below criteria:
i. You must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1996 and on or before 1 October 2002).
OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
ii. You must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1993) AND you have met or will meet the requirements for completion of your first degree on or after 1 October 2019*.
- Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2021) an undergraduate degree with a First Class or minimum GPA minimum of 3.70 out of 4.0 (or equivalent). Please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford, which may be higher still. Successful candidates typically feature within the top few ranks of their graduating classes.
- English language: You must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
You will not be able to submit your application for the Global Scholarship without prior nomination by your University.
Each university has a limited number of nominations that they can make each year. You must register the most appropriate nominator via the application form. Once their nomination has been received, you will be permitted to submit your form.
You can apply online from 1 June 2020 to the Application page via the scholarships tab.
How To Apply
To apply for the Rhodes Global Scholarship, click on the link below.
You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), 31 July 2020 (annual).
You can visit the official scholarship website to find out more about the scholarship and apply (www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarships/apply/global)
If you have any questions on this Rhodes Global Scholarships, feel free to use the comment box below. Also, share this article on your social media account so that others can know about it.